Local Noise Ordinance

Santa Ana Municipal Code Section 10-153 prohibits loud and raucous noise from sound making or amplifying devices.

The ordinance states that it is unlawful for any person to cause, allow, or permit the emission or transmission of any loud or raucous noise from any sound making or sound amplifying device in his or her possession or under his or her control. This ordinance is in force at all times of the day or night and at any public or private location within the City of Santa Ana. Violating this ordinance is a misdemeanor crime that can result in a fine up to $1,000 and/or up to six months of jail time. In addition to the fine, a penalty assessment can be levied.

For more information, please contact the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8665.

Noisy Neighbors and Steps to Resolve

Step 1: Talk to Your Neighbor

Sometimes noisy neighbors are not aware that they are causing a disturbance. If you feel comfortable, discuss the problem with your neighbor, and ask him/her to keep down the noise. Discussing and agreeing on a solution can stop the noise.

Step 2: Know the Local Noise Ordinance

The Santa Ana Municipal Code Section 10-153 prohibits loud and raucous noise from any sound-making or amplifying devices. This ordinance is in force at any location, every hour and every day.

Step 3: Write to Your Neighbor

If the situation does not improve, contact your neighbor again in writing. Notify him/her that you may need to notify the police if the noise continues. Enclose a copy of the noise ordinance, and keep a copy of the letter. if you decide to sue your neighbor as a last resource, you can contact the Orange County Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Services at (949) 440-6747.Step 4: Seek MediationAn impartial mediator can resolve the problem between you and your neighbor. Non-profit agencies specialize in dispute resolution and can contact your neighbor to suggest mediation. The Dispute Resolution Center of the Orange County Human Relations Commission is open during normal business hours for walk-ins. In evening clinics, certified mediators and volunteer lawyers will assist you in finding a solution. Spanish and Vietnamese interpreters are also available. Mediation services are normally provided at little or no cost. For more information, please contact the Orange County Human Relations Commission at (714) 567-7470 or Orange County Fair Housing at (714) 569-0823.

Step 5: Call the Police

If the neighbor continues to refuse to turn down the volume, notify the police department of excessive noise at (714) 834-4211. Try to report loud noise while it is occurring. The police will ask if you tried speaking to your neighbor. They must finish other higher priorities, but they will go to your neighborhood to ask your neighbor to lower the volume. If she/he reuses, they may be violating the noise ordinance and therefore are charged a misdemeanor violation penalty assessment of $150 or charged with disturbing the peace. If the problem is a barking dog, contact the Animal Control Officer at (714) 245-8792.